Now Playing
Hits 97.3
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Hits 97.3

national

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Men charged with stealing $8 million in rare items from Pittsburgh library

Two men are facing charges of stealing or damaging more than $8 million in rare books and materials from the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh for over two decades.

>> Read more trending news

Investigators Friday charged Greg Priore and John Schulman, alleging the two men worked together to remove the items from the Oliver Room. 

According to the criminal complaint, Priore worked as the manager and sole archivist of the Oliver Room for 25 years before being fired in June 2017. Schulman is the co-owner of Caliban Book Shop in Oakland, which specializes in rare books.

WPXI news reporter Aaron Martin reached out to Carnegie Library spokesperson Suzanne Thinnes, who said in a statement:"We are grateful the investigation into the Oliver Room theft has resulted in arrests, however we are deeply disappointed that at the center of this case are two people who had close, long standing relationships with the Library. We look forward to the appropriate individuals being held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. We will continue to cooperate with the DA’s office and deeply appreciate their efforts to recover the stolen materials. The District Attorney will release information as appropriate as the case progresses through legal proceedings. We would like to thank our community for their support throughout this lengthy and complex investigation. We have been asked not to comment further until legal proceedings are complete." 

Both Priore and Schulman are facing numerous charges, including theft and conspiracy.

Florida man caught huffing at Walmart, had seven cans around him

A Yulee, Florida, man was seen lying on the ground, shaking and inhaling from a can of compressed air outside a Nassau County Walmart, deputies said in a report.

>> Read more trending news

Sean Humberson, 31, was found next to a dumpster with seven cans of Dust-Off around him, the report said. He was taken to Baptist Medical Center Nassau for evaluation and was later arrested and charged with inhaling dangerous chemicals and for trespassing after an earlier warning

Humberson was charged with trespassing after a warning because he had been observed huffing air cans in the parking lot before, deputies said. 

On March 12, 2018, Humberson had 50 cans of Dust-Off around him but was not actively inhaling them, the report said .

Walmart staff had requested that Humberson not to be allowed on the property for one year. 

Emaciated teen found living in barn eating sticks, grass, investigators say

Investigators discovered an emaciated 15-year-old boy living in a barn and eating sticks and grass while his family had plenty of food inside a house in rural Oklahoma, police said. 

>> Read more trending news

Someone passing by the residence was concerned and called authorities, who said the 80-pound boy was likely only going to be able to live another week in those conditions, according to the Shawnee News-Star.

The boy also had several broken bones and shotgun pellets stuck in his leg. He was taken to the hospital where he may have to undergo surgery to remove the sticks and other foliage. He is expected to remain there for at least a month, according to the News-Star.

The boy had been removed two years ago from public school and was supposed to be home-schooled, according to the News-Star.

A four-year-old who appeared to be healthy and living inside the home, was removed by department of health service officials, according to the News-Star

The boy’s father, stepmother and two brothers were taken into custody, according to the News-Star. Jimmy L. Jones, 34, Amy A. Jones, 46, Jonathan Luke Plank, 20 and Tyler Joe Adkins, 24, were arrested and charged with child neglect, according to the News-Press. Jimmy L. Jones was also charged with child abuse. 

More pregnant women are having heart attacks, here’s why

The risk of having a heart attack during pregnancy and labor is rising, according to a new report. 

>> Read more trending news 

Researchers from the New York University School of Medicine recently conducted a study, published in the Mayo Clinics Proceedings, to determine the frequency of heart attacks among pregnant patients. 

To do so, they assessed more than 49 million births. Of the women who gave birth, more than 1,000 of them had a heart attack during their labor and delivery. More than 900 had a heart attack during their pregnancy, and nearly 2,400 women had a heart attack after giving birth.

They found that the risk of having a heart attack had increased by 25 percent from 2002 to 2014. Although they said the overall heart attack risk was low, they called the death rate “relatively high”at 4.5 percent.

>> Related: You can avoid strokes and heart attacks with these two household fruits, study says

“Our analysis, the largest review in a decade, serves as an important reminder of how stressful pregnancy can be on the female body and heart, causing a lot of physiological changes, and potentially unmasking risk factors that can lead to heart attack,” senior author Sripal Bangalore said in a statement.

Although researchers are unclear why the risk of heart attacks among pregnant women has increased, they hypothesized that age could be a factor as more women are waiting to have children later in life. They noted that the risk rises as women get older. 

Women between 35 to 39 who become pregnant are five times more likely to suffer a heart attack, compared to a women in their 20s. And women in their early 40s are 10 times more likely. 

>> Related: You may be able to better avoid heart attacks with this common snack, study says

Furthermore, the researchers report more women are also obese and/or have diabetes, which increases the risk, and early detectors of heart damage have also improved.

“Our findings highlight the importance to women considering pregnancy to know their risk factors for heart disease beforehand,” coauthor Nathaniel R. Smilowitz added. “These patients should work out a plan with their physicians to monitor and control risk factors during pregnancy so that they can minimize their risk.”

>> Related: Got heart disease? You may have a better chance of survival if married

New blood test could detect skin cancer early, study finds

Researchers in Australia have developed a blood test that could potentially detect melanoma, the deadliest kind of skin cancer, in its early stages.

>> Read more trending news 

Scientists at Edith Cowan University in Joondalup, Australia, recruited a total of 245 study participants who were either healthy or diagnosed by routine pathological exams of their respective tumors. Researchers obtained a once-off blood sample from the participants, typically within one month of tumor diagnosis and excision.

Of the 245 blood samples collected, the researchers were able to identify those with melanoma with 79 percent accuracy and those without the cancer with 84 percent accuracy.

>> Related: Study finds 67 percent of sunscreens don’t actually work — find one that does

Their findings were recently published in the journal Oncotarget.

“In order for it to be valued by clinicians we would need to get to 90 percent accuracy in detection,” lead researcher Mel Ziman told CNN. “So we are doing a clinical trial with 1000 participants to refine our test to get to this point.”

And if future clinical trials prove successful, Ziman predicts blood tests may be globally distributed in up to five years, she said.

>> Related: Stay away from dangerous sunscreen pills, FDA warns

“Despite advances in diagnostic methods, screening large populations for melanoma remains inefficient due to the time required to screen each individual and due to a plethora of other limitations clinicians face in the current diagnosis of this cancer,” study authors wrote. “Complementary diagnostic tools, such as blood tests, are needed to increase melanoma screening efficiency,” they added, emphasizing that in Australia, only 5 percent of health care costs associated with melanoma focus on early management, with the remaining 95 percent on treatment.

“Early detection and treatment could not only drastically improve patient 5-year survival rates to 99%, but also lower the financial burden of the disease on the health care system,” the researchers wrote.

 >> Related: Everything you need to know about skin cancer and how to prevent it

According to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States and affected 22.1 per 100,000 Americans in 2015, including at least 8,885 deaths. That’s approximately 80,442 reported cases total, nearly double the number of cases reported in 1999.

Woman vows to pop Trump balloon, creates GoFundMe for bail

A crowdfunding account set up to raise money for a the bail of a woman who vowed to pop a balloon ridiculing President Donald Trump was removed by GoFundMe shortly after it was created. 

>> Read more trending news

Kathie Kitt Conklin started the first crowdfunding campaign after seeing reports about a New Jersey man who wanted to bring the Baby Trump balloon seen during the president’s visit to the United Kingdom to the United States.

GoFundMe removed the account Thursday, according to the Asbury Park Press. Conklin started another account, which was also removed, according to WNBC

“I'm tired of people disrespecting our President! I plan on taking out this ridiculous balloon,” she wrote, according to the Asbury Park Press

"This GoFundMe page is set up for bail in case I become arrested, which is likely. If anyone is interested in supporting this cause. Please feel free to donate," the page read, according to WNBC

Officials with GoFundMe told the Asbury Park Press the campaign violated its terms of service and donations were refunded.

A campaign to bring the 20-foot balloon to New Jersey and fly it above Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster has raised more than $23,000. Organizers expect to have it within four weeks and mentioned flying it at other locations around the country. 

Conklin declined to comment to the Asbury Park Press when called while the campaign was still online.

"I don't want to talk to the press,” she said. “They always twist things. Thanks.”

McDonald’s pulls salads from 3,000 locations after cyclosporiasis outbreak expands to more states

More states have reported an outbreak of cyclosporiasis illnesses that have likely come from salads at McDonald’s.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are working with state and local officials to investigate the outbreak.

>> Read more trending news 

According to the CDC, 163 people in 10 states have gotten ill. No deaths have been reported, but there have been three hospitalizations.

On July 13, McDonald’s decided to voluntarily stop selling salads at affected restaurants in Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Montana, North Dakota, Kentucky, West Virginia and Missouri until it can switch to another salad supplier. More than 3,000 locations are affected.

Related: McDonald’s pulls salads from some restaurants after more than 100 people infected by parasite

“The additional states identified by the FDA and CDC are among the same states where, a week ago, we proactively decided to remove our lettuce blend in impacted restaurants and replace it through a different supplier,” the restaurant said in a statement Friday. “McDonald’s is committed to the highest standards of food safety and quality and we continue to cooperate and support regulatory and public health officials in their investigations.”

According to the FDA, the restaurant's removal of affected salads means it is unlikely to put customers who eat at those locations at risk.’

Symptoms of Cyclospora infection include loss of weight and appetite, frequent watery diarrhea, cramping, bloating and increased gas, a low-grade fever, fatigue and nausea. Vomiting, body aches, headache, fever, and other flu-like symptoms may also occur, according to the CDC. Some infected with don’t have symptoms.

The investigation is ongoing.

Disney: ′Star Wars Clone Wars′ will be back, announcement made at San Diego Comic Con

One of the first big announcements coming out of San Diego Comic Con 2018 is that “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” will be back for a new season. 

Dave Filoni made the announcement Thursday during a 10th anniversary celebration of the animated series that filled in the gap between “Star Wars” episodes II and IV. 

There will be 12 new episodes that will be released on Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service.

The original run had five seasons and a handful of episodes that were called “The Lost Missions.”

Fans, however, wanted more, since not all stories were told, according to the “Star Wars’” official blog.

Filoni, who helmed “Clone Wars,” says of being able to finish the stories, “It’s very rewarding. Any opportunity to put the final pieces of the story in place is meaningful as a storyteller. I’m happy for the opportunity to define these things and the end of this part of the Clone War.”

The streaming service that will host “Clone Wars” is expected to be released to consumers next year, The Verge reported.

In addition to “Clone Wars,” Disney previously announced a new live-action show written for Jon Favreau and a new animated show, “Star Wars Resistance,” that is set before “The Force Awakens,” The Verge reported.

Streaming services like Netflix, Spotify could soon have emergency alerts

new bill introduced in the Senate Wednesday, if passed by Congress, would explore establishing a system to offer emergency alerts to audio and video online streaming services, such as Netflix and Spotify.

>> Read more trending news

Senate Bill 3238, also known as “The READI Act,” was introduced by Sen. Brian Schatz D-Hawaii, and is co-sponsored by Sen. John Thune R-S.D.

“The bipartisan legislation would ensure more people receive relevant emergency alerts on their mobile phones, televisions, and radios, explore new ways of alerting the public through online video and audio streaming services, track and study false alerts when they occur, and improve the way states plan for emergency alerts,” a statement released by Schatz’s office said Wednesday.

The Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alert System ensure the public is quickly informed about emergency alerts issued by federal, state, tribal and local governments delivered over the radio, television and mobile wireless devices.

Those alerts can include weather information, imminent threats, Amber alerts and local incident information targeted to specific areas, according to the federal government.

The bill would also ensure more people receive emergency alerts by eliminating the option to opt out of receiving certain federal alerts.

The bill is being introduced after a false alarm reporting a missile alert in Hawaii exposed flaws in the system earlier this year, Schatz said.

“Even though it was a false alarm, the missile alert exposed real flaws in the way people receive emergency alerts,” Schatz said. “When a missile alert went out across Hawaii in January, some people never got the message on their phones, while others missed it on their TVs and radios.”

Schatz said the bipartisan bill would fix a number of problems with the system.

“In a real emergency, these alerts can save lives so we have to do everything we can to get it right,” the Hawaii senator said.

Under the new bill, the government would establish a reporting system for false alerts, so the Federal Communications Commission can track when they occur and examine the causes, Schatz said.

GOP leaders to bring Republican National Convention to Charlotte

The Republican Party will host its 2020 presidential nominating convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

>> Read more trending news

The Republican National Convention Site Selection Committee on Wednesday voted unanimously in a closed session to select the Queen City to host the convention.

The 168-member RNC delegation made it official with a vote Friday.

In a candid question-and-answer segment organized by Charlotte City Councilman Tariq Bokhari, site selection chair Ron Kaufman went into detail about the circumstances leading to Friday's vote. He said he sent letters to 30 cities and seven expressed interest in hosting the convention.

From those seven, Charlotte and Las Vegas stood out.

Kaufman said that the thing he loved most about Charlotte was the fact that, from elected officials to Uber drivers, everyone seemed to be passionate about the city. He admitted that he kept a close eye on Monday's Charlotte City Council meeting, when city leaders approved the framework to host Republican leaders.

Kaufman said he was surprised that most of the speakers were in favor of hosting the convention. He said he wasn’t worried about possible protests or security issues because he sees Cleveland as a more partisan city than Charlotte, and there were only 27 arrests there.

“There is so much time and effort being put in to make sure Charlotte will be the safest city in America that week,” Kaufman said.

Doug Lebda, the CEO of LendingTree, an online lending exchange company based in Charlotte, was also in Texas. He said every major convention and trade show will be looking at Charlotte, since the city will have landed both the Democratic and the Republican national conventions.

The Associated Press and the Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report. 

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >